Sunday, January 22, 2006

RING FINGERS ARE RETARDED

The Mailbox would never think that something Gallagher said is wise. But dammit, that melonhead was right. How come our third fingers aren't good for anything?

I've been learning to play bass guitar. As I've discovered practicing scales, the ring finger is critical for hitting crucial notes. As I've also discovered, I'm going to need a lot of practice. Whenever I use my ring finger to play a note, my bird finger curls up like I've developed arthritis. It can't look cool at all...how are the ladies supposed to get all up ons when my finger is pulling a Linda Blair impersonation? Just ain't right.

I've been sharing my pain at the Dream Theater forum for bassists. Seems I started a fight between fellow bass players about the best fingering. And I thought we were all cool and laid back.

But, did you know that some pretty nice basses and guitars are made right here in Springfield? Check out Conklin Guitars. Pretty shiny gitfiddles, there. Local boy Dave Wood, formerly of the Groove Tube (how the Mailbox misses that band) plays an 8-stringer Conklin. A guy at a local music store tried to sell me a beautiful 5-string Conklin bass. Since I'm still a noob, I felt like an idiot. He's pointing out all these features, and I don't have a clue how I'm supposed to react. I might as well have been a girl being sold an electric shaver.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]